July 10, 2012

All Done

So I had my last day at work today.  Put in my 2 weeks notice... well, 2 weeks ago.  I had been working there for about the past 4 years and 10 months, and it had been a good job up until January of this year.  I don't know the innerworkings of the decisions, since I'm not family, but essentially the company split into 3 smaller companies, my guess is so that the owner could pass it on to his kids.  Like I said, I don't know all the reasons for the business decisions, but whatever it was... it didn't work too well.  Since January it's basically all been going downhill.  Each individual company, it seems, didn't have the revenue needed to keep them afloat.  Things were kinda bad but I didn't really consider leaving too much up until it was announced that my boss (whom I liked) was going to be leaving the company for a new job.

It was then that the slightly negative decline fell off the proverbial cliff.

So to compensate for the failing companies, the company I worked for was going to be absorbed into another one (that wasn't doing quite so bad), which put me under a new boss.... who I really didn't like.  The new boss made it feel like a prison..  we had to sign some employee conduct agreement that basically said we couldn't do anything but work.  No cell phone usage, no streaming music online ("because we need to save bandwidth" pfft), among other things.  Now, dont get me wrong, I understand a boss who wants their employees to make the best of their time while on the clock, but there's gotta be a limit to how much you can make your place of employment feel like a prison.  So there was that, and there was also the fact that I knew what they were going to put me in charge of if I stayed there, and I really just didn't want to do that.  And because of the money issues our paychecks were being delayed by 2-3 more days than they ever were before, and I felt like I should probably quit while they could still afford to pay me.

So today was the last day, and I gotta tell ya...  it feels weird.  I mean, I've been there for so long it's gonna be weird waking up tomorrow and not having a job to go to.  Not only that, I kinda left them high and dry.  Upon leaving for the day, I took a picture of the work they've already fallen behind on since they've put other people in charge of my job, which is about 2 days worth.  It makes me feel kinda bad, but also not too much at the same time.  The owner was notorious for accusing me of doing nothing but being on my cell phone or other websites all day...  I hope now they realize just how much work I had been doing and how much they took me for granted.

That does seem kinda crappy of me to say, but hey...  again, my dislike for the place and for my boss sorta prevents me from feeling bad.

So there's an update for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment